At a Glance
Whether you have full time human resources staff or human resources is one of the many hats your staff wears, cities must follow every aspect of federal and state human resources law. So when city officials told us they needed assistance, we developed HR Express. The goal? Help cities stay informed of and compliant with HR laws and regulations. Through this GMA service, you receive access to HR experts at an extremely low cost. Those experts provide you timely, relevant information through city-customized webinars, newsletters, and an annual seminar.
Through an arrangement with the Atlanta law firm of Elarbee Thompson, GMA gives you low-cost access to experts in city-related human resources law and compliance. They will share expert advice and guidance with you through three regular formats.
These hour long webinars (that include 15 minutes for Q&A) will cover federal and state laws and regulations related to important human resources topics such as:
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy
- Workplace Harassment
- Investigating Employee Complaints
- Overtime Pay and the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Leave Policies
- Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Social Media Policy
- Workplace Safety
- Employee Discipline
- Hiring Processes
After each live webinar, cities will have access to:
- The archived webinar presentation for later viewing
- Sample policies as appropriate
- Best practices as appropriate
- Attorneys from Elarbee Thompson, who for the three business days immediately following each webinar, will clarify or answer questions you may have related to the webinar presentations
The webinars are held on the third Thursday of every month from noon to 1 p.m.
To keep you updated about changes in federal and state law, trends, best practices, and tips about human resources challenges and issues, we send out quarterly e-newsletters that provide a big bang for your buck. Chock full of timely, relevant information, these e-newsletters will help you stay on top of city-related HR.
Annual Human Resources Seminar
Every year, cities that are part of the HR Express program will gather to discuss important human resources trends in-depth at a seminar that brings together municipal officials with human resources responsibilities. At these events, you’ll have exclusive access to:
- Sessions featuring experts talking about critically important human resources topics, case studies and best practices.
- Networking opportunities with your peers and municipal officials that have human resources responsibilities.
We base the annual cost of the service on the population size of your city.
| Cities with less than 1,000 population
| Cities with population between 1,000 – 2,999
| Cities with population between 3,000 – 9,999
| Cities with population of 10,000 and greater
If you are a member of GMA’s property and liability insurance program (GIRMA), you are eligible to receive a grant from GIRMA’s existing liability grant program
to reimburse your city for 50% of the annual HR Express membership fee.
And as an incentive for joining the HR Express service, the initial 12-month membership fee will cover an 18-month period from July 1, 2016 to December 31, 2017.