The Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission (hereinafter referred to as the “Ethics Commission”) has proposed adopting a rule to mandate new, monthly reporting duties for municipal filing officers in every city in the state.
Among the serious concerns of the Georgia Municipal Association are the following:
- This proposed rule exceeds the statutory authority of the Commission by proposing to create a new, onerous, monthly mandate on municipal filing officers; and
- The proposed rule, if adopted, has broad implications on the ability of the Commission to impose require submittal of any type of information on any number of reports by municipal filing officers for other candidates for public offices, including state legislators, above those delineated by state law.
There is a process in O.C.G.A. 50-13-4 in which the General Assembly standing committees with specific oversight over agencies can object to, or stay, proposed agency rules. In addition, members of the General Assembly are also expressly granted the rights to submit data, views, or arguments, orally or in writing, on the proposed rule. Because of this oversight function, it is important that members of the General Assembly are aware of municipal concerns over this proposed agency-level mandate on municipal employees.
We encourage city officials to take the following actions:
- Send comments to the Ethics Commission to Nancy Sandberg, Legal Administrative Assistant, Georgia Government Transparency and Campaign Finance Commission, 200 Piedmont Avenue SE, Suite 1416 – West Tower, Atlanta, Georgia 30334. Please consider sending copies of these comments to Rusi Patel at firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Consider attending the public hearing on September 21, 2017, at 10 a.m. in Room 606 of the Coverdell Legislative Office Building, 18 Capitol Square SW, Atlanta, Georgia 30334. Free parking is available at the GMA offices; and
- Relate municipal concerns to your legislative delegation members on this proposed Ethics Commission rule.
For more information, please contact GMA’s Rusi Patel at email@example.com
or 678-686-6210. City officials may fax comments to the Ethics Commission at 404-463-1988.