The INFRA program provides federal financial assistance to highway and freight projects of national or regional significance. To maximize the value of FY 2019 INFRA funds for all Americans, the Department of Transportation is focusing the competition on transportation infrastructure projects that support four key objectives:
- Supporting economic vitality at the national and regional level
- Leveraging federal funding to attract non-federal sources of infrastructure investment
- Deploying innovative technology, encouraging innovative approaches to project delivery, and incentivizing the use of innovative financing, and
- Holding grant recipients accountable for their performance.
This notice’s focus on the four key objectives does not supplant the Department’s focus on safety as our top priority. The Department is committed to reducing fatalities and serious injuries on the surface transportation system. To reinforce the Department’s safety priority, USDOT will require projects that receive INFRA awards to consider and effectively respond to data-driven transportation safety concerns.
Eligible applicants for INFRA grants are:
- A state or group of states
- a metropolitan planning organization that serves an urbanized area (as defined by the Bureau of the Census) with a population of more than 200,000 individuals
- a unit of local government or group of local governments
- a political subdivision of a State or local government
- a special purpose district or public authority with a transportation function, including a port authority
- a federal land management agency that applies jointly with a state or group of states
- a tribal government or a consortium of tribal governments, or
- a multi-state or multi-jurisdictional group of public entities.
Multiple states or jurisdictions that submit a joint application should identify a lead applicant as the primary point of contact. Joint applications should include a description of the roles and responsibilities of each applicant and should be signed by each applicant. The applicant that will be responsible for financial administration of the project must be an eligible applicant.
Phone: (202) 366-1092