The Georgia Municipal Employees Benefit System (GMEBS) Life and Health Insurance Fund is a self-insured fund administered by GMA. The fund's membership consists of approximately150 local government entities, covering more than 5,500 lives with total assets of nearly $36 million.
Municipalities, municipal authorities and commissions, housing authorities and regional commissions are eligible to participate in the fund.
To be eligible for group life and health coverage, each employee must be an active, permanent, full-time employee who is employed on at least a 30-hour per week basis, for at least 48 weeks during the year. Elected officials are eligible to participate.
- Discounted medical and prescription drug costs
- Dedicated customer service telephone line
- In-network claims filed by providers not by employees
- No balance billing on in-network claims
- Fourteen plan designs with varying deductibles to meet the needs of employees and the available financial resources of the employer
- Forms available online
- Savings on vision care and vision products
- Proactive wellness service
- Health Promotion Grant Program
POS, PPO and HMO Options
GMA offers several plan designs including a POS, PPO and HMO plans with varying deductibles to give members the flexibility to meet the needs of their employees. These plans vary in design by deductibles, co-insurance, copays and provider networks. HMO service areas are available in Albany, Athens, Atlanta, Augusta, Columbus, Gainesville, Macon, Rome and Savannah. For a summary comparing the plan designs offered by GMA, please contact Marketing and Field Services
at (678) 686-6216.
Each proposal is based on individual experience. In order to furnish a quote for coverage, a completed GMA underwriting questionnaire and a census form must be submitted. If the employer has less than 20 employees, individual employee questionnaires must be completed.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Georgia - claim administration and physician networks
- Greater Georgia Life - life and short-term disability coverages
- Aetna Rx - prescription benefits
- Delta Dental - dental coverage
Other Coverages Available
Other coverages available to the GMEBS Life and Health Insurance Fund membership include group life insurance, optional life insurance, accidental death and dismemberment, short-term disability coverage, dental coverage and retiree life insurance. To learn more about these coverages please refer to the "Other Coverages Available" link in the "More Information" section on this page.